Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes 3 April 2017

HARBOR 20 FLEET FOUR

EXECUTIVE BOARD

AND GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

APRIL 3, 2017

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER: Rich Miller presiding – present, Geoff Slaff, Ann Hutchins, Brian Green, Morgan Green, Fred Rice, J.J. Jeffries, Jane Barrett, Tom Wright, Kevin Cahill, Helene Webb, Caroline Kavanagh

 

  1. MINUTES: Morgan Green – previous meeting, accepted.

 

  1. TREASURER’S REPORT: Geoff Slaff – Buying Snacks for those present.

 

  1. WEB MASTERS REPORT: J.J. Jeffries – sent email blast regarding posted minutes. He will put a proxy voting form on the H20 Fleet 4 website leaving off the date for use by skippers as needed to delegate vote. Not addressed are spinnaker rules, wind speed rules, calculation of the fleet champion. (Rich will check on the trophy and the spinnaker rules to report back)

 

  1. MEASURER’S REPORT: Tom Wright – Concerns expressed regarding Fling, noted in 5/1/2016 as underweight. (Minimum class weight with required gear is 1950 lbs.) Four boats will be reweighed. Suggestion: coordinate to do all on the same day. Discussion re: reducing a boat’s weight. Helene notes weights of spinnaker poles as potential question. Tom will research weights by checking with Fleet 1 bylaws for language and report back.

 

  1. RULES QUIZ: Rich Miller – Discussion. Until a boat completes its tack, she shall keep clear of other boats until she is on a close-hauled course.

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS

 

  1. RACE PREPARATIONS: Brian Green – Presentation. Amigo gets out onto the water on Wet Wednesdays often by 4 p.m. (more than an hour before the race start) All running rigging is checked for adjustment. Sails to the outside and inside marks to check current (sometimes it’s different). Luffs up head-to-wind to check wind direction. Often sails to K mark to note wind shifts, kelp channels, current direction.

 

  1. FUTURE MEETING DATES: Rich Miller, Discussion – Thursdays are not convenient. Club is closed on Mondays unless an employee is present to open the fleet room. Geoff will check with the manager Eric re possibilities. No objections to Monday nights if SBYC is not available. Other venues will be evaluated, with locations to be determined. Previously approved meeting dates will be transferred to the Mondays of those weeks. Consensus approval. New Meeting schedule: May 8. June 5, July 10, Oct. 12, Dec. 14.

 

  1. FLEET FOUR MAINSAIL REQUIREMENTS: Geoff Slaff proposes: All boats shall use Ullman mainsails by the 2017 Cinco De Mayo Regatta, and during all subsequent Fleet 4 races if they wish their place to count in any series standings. Approved. (This bylaw change is to clarify former language in Appendix III. Appendix 3 is to be deleted and replaced with the new language. It shall read as follows:  3) Fleet 4 elects to modify Class Rule III.C.5 so that: All boats shall use Ullman mainsails at the 2017 Cinco De Mayo Regatta and during all subsequent Fleet 4 races. (approved April 2017).

 

 

VOTING CLARIFICATION: For annual elections of fleet board.  Kevin Cahill proposed discussion to avert confusion. (Moved from item F on Agenda).Discussion/proposal to amend Fleet Four bylaws to clarify. Proposed: In Fleet 4 elections, each boat owner may cast one vote per candidate. Approved. The language shall be Appendix 6. It shall read as follows: 6) Fleet 4 elects to clarify Class Rule I.D.2 so that in Fleet 4 elections, each boat owner may cast one vote per candidate.

 

  1. FLEET 4 WIND LIMITS: Rich Miller proposes discussion due to confusion. After discussion, consensus that the wind limit be changed to Average wind of 18 kts., OR gusts to 22 kts. Proposal modified from J-70 fleet policy:

 

Races shall not be started when the wind exceeds an average of 18 knots or gusts to 22 knots or higher. The Fleet decision should factor sea conditions, current, and rapid changes in velocity.

 

For Wet Wednesdays only in marginal conditions, at 4:45 p.m. the ranking fleet representative racing shall contact all boats on channel 69 to discuss and vote whether to cancel the race. Ranking representative shall be 1. fleet capt., 2. secretary, 3. treasurer, 4. measurer.

 

At all fleet events: Unless a race is underway, any competitor at any time who thinks racing is unsafe may inform the ranking fleet representative by radio or hail by voice. Thereupon, the fleet representative shall contact all other racers on the Race Committee frequency, then switch to an alternative such as channel 69 and take a voice vote. The majority race/cancel decision stands. Approved by voice vote. Note: the wind rule does not infringe on any racer’s right to retire. Rich will talk to the SBYC race director regarding enforcement of the Fleet 4 rule.

 

  1. TEAM RACING: Rich Miller, proposes increasing fun levels for all. Suggestions for an informal trial: teams made up according to current fleet standings with one team flying a ribbon from the back stay, using one wet wednesday race per month, starting with May 10. Outcome will not count toward Fleet 4 WW standings. Geoff will get the ribbons. Suggestion: get Race Director to hold a team racing seminar asap. Rich will find out when he is available.

 

Adjournment: Next meeting May 8. Place TBA.

– – – END – – –

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *