Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes 17 March 2017
Harbor 20 Fleet Four Meeting
March 17, 2017
INFORMAL AGENDA RE: FLEET ORGANIZATION, 2017
The 2017 board consists of Rich Miller, Brian Green, Morgan Green Ann Hutchins and Geoff Slaff. Fred Rice volunteers
- Updating the fleet email list: Anyone who wishes to be on the main list may be on it. Sub lists will include the board only, and the board and fleet boat owners. A corrected list will be prepared by Ann Hutchins in time for the next fleet meeting.
- Fleet Meeting Dates: Consensus agreement after discussion of the following dates: May 12, June 8, July 10 and Oct. 12 and Dec. 14 for planning 2018. at 5:30 p.m.
- 2017 Fleet officers: By consensus agreement Rich Miller, Fleet Captain; Geoff Slaff, Treasurer; Morgan Green, recording secretary. John Jeffries volunteers to remain the fleet’s webmaster. Tom Wright volunteers to remain as fleet measurer.
- Topic of discussion: Rich Miller – How to make the fleet more fun?
Suggestions for further discussion/action –
– email the whole fleet on suggestions to make races more fun for all
– create a B fleet to foster close competition
– race in teams with odd sail numbers vs even sail numbers
– provide designated speakers of interest at fleet meetings
– hold a go-fast session at fleet meeting, and definition and discussion of one racing rule per meeting
– help people get crew
- Fleet Outreach: Rich Miller – sought suggestions for further discussion/action:
– invite other clubs and fleets to sail on H20 boats
– establish a Harbor 20 class in the SBYC Charity Regatta where non-owner members can skipper a boat, provided and crewed by us, for a given donation, say donors of $100 get to steer.
– first Wet Wednesday race each month be a fun team race.
- Treasurer’s Report: Geoff Slaff. See Attached report for details. Currently, the fleet bank balance is $3,771,21. That compares with year end 2016 of $2,963.13. Noted: The fleet is not hosting any Class events involving visiting sailors this year. That leaves funds for spending as the fleet wants. Suggestions for further discussion/action:
– Harbor 20 Fleet 4 t-shirts
– Meeting appetizers and wine
Brian Green volunteered to tell the meeting about how he and his crew prepare for a race.
Consensus approval: May meeting appetizers, and presentation by Brian Green on pre-race preparations.
- Fleet communications: Morgan Green – requests that all emails be sent to fleet members from the Fleet Captain. Including minutes, announcements, reminders. And that the Fleet Capt. will send all corrected draft meeting minutes, or official changes to fleet bylaws, to the webmaster for posting online. Consensus agreement.
- Spring Series; Jane Watkins – Jane asks for volunteers for Saturday race committee. Rich Miller volunteers, Ann tentatively volunteers.
- Fleet Fixits: Brian Green – suggests spreading information about fixes for equipment on boats that all should be aware of. Example: Swapping the main halyard and Spinnaker halyard positions for efficiency and less wear.
Consensus that the May meeting will include a discussion of such fixits for the fleet’s general benefit.
- Suggested matters for future board action, Karen Cahill – presents suggestions from Kevin for possible future action:
– non-cumulative voting
– re-weighing requirement after boats make changes (including new flotation) that alter their weight.
– clarification of timing for E.P. switch to Ullman mainsails
– approval of new type of distress flares
- Wind Limit: Rich Miller – Asks that a discussion to clarify be placed on the May agenda.
- Start Clinic: discussion of when to conduct. General suggestion that if one is planned that it be earlier in the season. Suggestion to place on upcoming spring agenda.
NEXT FLEET MEETING
MAY 12, 5:30 P.M. FLEET MEETING ROOM, SANTA BARBARA YACHT CLUB (PLACE TO BE LATER CONFIRMED).
– – – END – – –
Hi Fleet 4. Looks like all is well with you. I have a H20 rudder with a bit of a bent shaft (Snagged a mooring line in Newport) but the rudder itself is in good shape. Anyone interested in it, Let me know.