Participation in H20 Class races in Fleet 1 requires that the helmsman be either an Owner or Skipper member in good standing (see Fleet 1 bylaws I.F.2 and I.E.2). A new “Expired Memberships” page is now included on this website. Links to this page can be found at the top of the “Members Roster” page, and near the top of the “Fleet1 > Divisions” page.
Helmsman who race in High Point, or Rain or Shine, races will not be scored by Fleet 1 if their membership is expired. High Point race scores are used for awarding the High Point trophies at the end of the season, and for promotion, re-qualification, and demotion between the A, B, and C divisions. Please also note that the organizing authority of a race or regatta may reject an entry for an event under RRS rule 76.1 if it is known that the entrant is not a member in good standing.
We encourage all Fleet 1 members to keep your membership current. If you are included on the “Expired Memberships” page, please renew the membership using the “Members > Membership Renewal” page. All renewed memberships will expire on February 1, 2019. As such, the payment amount will be prorated by the number of days remaining between when you renew and 2/1/2019. Please note that if you pay by check, your “Expired” status will not change until the check has been received, and manual steps to change the status in the database are completed.
Alternatively, you can delete your membership by clicking the “DELETE ACCOUNT” link on the “Members > My Account” page.
We appreciate your cooperation.
The Membership Committee of the Fleet 1 Board of Directors
One on the most common comments I have received from attendees of my “Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing” seminar over the past 10 years has been “Can you do it in half a day?”. The all-day event does require a large commitment of time, and is admittedly exhausting. But, I always knew that the answer was “no’ unless I came up with an entirely new approach and teaching technique. Well, I am excited to say that I will be offering “Rules Around the Race Course”, an interactive clinic in a half-day format on March 10, 1-5 PM at LIYC. Two years in the making, the focus is on how and why the rules work, and how they apply to the situations that occur in every race. While it may sometimes seem like there are an infinite number of ways that boats can “meet”, there are not. The patterns are recognizable and relatively small in number. The same things happen during every start, on the windward and leeward legs, at obstructions, and around marks. One thing is for certain – you cannot learn the Racing Rules of Sailing by reading the rule book.
For those of you who have attended my full-day seminar, some as many as 6 or 7 times, this is an entirely new and different experience. It is better.
The more knowledgeable the fleet is, the better the quality of racing for everyone. This goes for skippers and crews because more heads are better than one! And because youth are our future, a discounted price is offered for those 18 and under.
For more information, click here.
I hope to see you there!
Fleet 1 members:
- If you received an email entitled “Harbor 20 Class Association canceled your automatic payments”, please IGNORE it.
- If your membership is expired or about to expire, please mail a check to Roxanne Chan made out to “Harbor 20 Fleet 1”:
350 Loma Metisse Rd.
Malibu, CA 90265
The reason for the emails and the need to renew by check is that we are in the process of separating the bank accounts for the H20 Class Association and Fleet 1. Fleet 1 has always included a Class membership with a Fleet 1membership (Owner or Skipper membership cost is $75 for the Fleet, and $15 for the Class, totaling $90.) The Class has decided to make all renewals due on February 1, and to keep things simple, Fleet 1 has decided to do the same. This, however, requires that the online renewal process using credit card be modified, and that pro-rating be applied to switch from individual renewal dates to a single date. That process is underway, but NOT complete, resulting in some unintended consequences, including unexpected amounts due. Until we notify you that the website is ready, please DO NOT TRY TO PAY YOUR RENEWAL online.
We appreciate your cooperation as these procedures change!
Gary Thorne, Fleet 1 Captain
Ever since I started offering the full-day “Understanding the Racing Rules” seminar 10 years ago, I have been asked “Can you do it in half a day?” Well, now I can! The format is different than the 185 PPT slide version, and does not cover all the detail. But, it does cover the important stuff. 35 slides set the stage for an interactive experience using magnetic boats on the whiteboard. “Rules Around the Race Course” will be officially presented for the first time on Saturday, January 27 at Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach. ( I did a dry run at BCYC just before the Fleet 1 Championship last year). We hope to see you there!
Click here to register.
If you are an active Owner Member of the Harbor 20 Class Association, you are invited to participate in a vote for the 2018 Harbor 20 Class Association Board of Directors. This vote is being conducted online now through December 31, 2017.
Following are the instructions followed by a link to the page to cast your vote:
1. A vote for the Class Board of Directors can only be cast by Owner Members in good standing. If your membership has expired, you must renew your dues before you can vote;
2. You must be logged into this website to vote. If you have forgotten your password, you may reset your password by clicking here.;
3. You will casting a vote for up to 15 individuals to fill the Board seats;
4. The current Class Board has nominated 15 individuals for consideration. These individuals were published on December 10, 2015 via email to the membership. No other nominations have been received, so these are the only candidates for consideration;
5. Once you submit your vote, you cannot change your vote;
6. Any questions or problems with voting should be addressed to email@example.com.
Dear Harbor 20 Class Association Owner Member,
As a current and active Owner Member of the Harbor 20 Class Association, you will be asked to participate in a vote for the 2018 Harbor 20 Class Association Board of Directors. Voting will open until the end of the day on December 31, 2017.
The Harbor 20 Class Associations ByLaws, section ID3 state:
I.D.3. A Nominating Committee will be appointed by the Board each Fall to nominate candidates for the open Director positions. The Committee is required to consider suggestions for candidates from all Fleet Captains. The slate will be communicated to the Owner Members by December 10th. Five or more owners may nominate additional candidates. The Board will hold an open and fair election by the Owner Members of all nominated candidates.
A nominating committee was formed and candidates have been solicited from all the Fleet Captains. The nominating committee is recommending the following individuals for the 2018 Class Association Board of Directors. An election will be held in the upcoming weeks. This email is only a notification of the nominated candidates as required by the ByLaws.
Kevin Cahill, Fleet 4
Warren Duncan, Fleet 1, current Class Measurer
Peter Haynes, Fleet 1
Garth Hitchens, Fleet 5, current Assistant Class Measurer
Kevin Keogh, Fleet 3, current Class President
Ed Kimball, Fleet 1
Robert Knowles, Fleet 6
Richard Loufek, Fleet 1
Marino de Marzo, Fleet 5
Richard Miller, Fleet 4
Michael Mixson, Fleet 6
Ned Nielsen, Fleet 3
Patrick Shannon, Fleet 5
Gary Thorne, Fleet1
Judy Weightman, Fleet 1
Total of 15 Directors Representing all Active Fleets.
Any questions concerning the election or nominations should be directed to the Class Nominating Committee via email to ____________.
Annual Fleet 1 Awards Party
Saturday, November 11, 2017
Balboa Bay Club Bayview Room
Reception at 6pm
Dinner at 7pm followed by
Awards & Dancing to a Live Band.
Click below for more details and to purchase your tickets.
The Harbor 20 Fleet 1 sailing year has ended with the conclusion of the Fleet 1 Championships. And the winners are….
To be awarded:
- Arthur B Strock Service Award
- Broken Rudder Award
- First Mate
- Grand Master
- High Point Series (1st, 2nd & 3rd in A, B and C Divisions)
- Phyllis Rawlins Drayton Trophy
- Rain or Shine Series (1st, 2nd & 3rd)
HARBOR 20 FLEET FOUR
BOARD MEMBER MEETING
OCTOBER 9, 2017
- Call to Order: Rich Miller presiding. Present, board members Morgan Green, Geoff Slaff, Ann Hutchins, former fleet captain Fred Rice
- minutes: accepted.
- Webmaster’s report: no report
- Treasurer’s Report: Geoff Slaff. Current Balance, $3,509.55 as of Oct. 9, 2017 (see attached complete report)
- Basic Rules Review: Discussion of rights of way inside downwind finish zone and upwind finish at committee boat.
- Class Measurer. Weighing of boats. Tom Wright. The scale was found. All boats underweight, new boats, and boats that underwent alterations need to be weighed. Five total. Tom will select times and send to the owners. Unweighed boats will not be counted in any more race unless they get weighed.
- Spinnaker Pole Deployment: Discussion of rules favored by other classes with similar extending poles. Motion: Spinnaker poles may be deployed any time within the three-boat-length circle (extending outward 60 feet from the mark for Harbor 20s), and will be retracted at the first reasonable opportunity. Approved.
- North/South Regatta: discussion of keeping activities as simple as possible. Scheduled for Labor Day Weekend, 2018. Fleet Capt. noted that the entry fee of $580 to enter at Annapolis was way too expensive. General consensus that simpler is better. But no decision. To be discussed more later.
- Bylaw change. Wording to formalize previous decisions on to matters. See below.
111.G.17 Backstay tension line may be lead through a simple block attached to the base of the barney post. The cleat location shall not be altered.
11.C.4 All crew shall keep their hips within the confines of the cockpit at all times excepting in the need for immediate repair or for safety.
- Do we require a working motor? Discussion after consulting national Class bylaws. A motor does not need to be working. But all Class required motor requirements must be fulfilled. (such as permanently mounted weight in lieu of battery or motor etc.)
- Two-day Regattas: Discussion and consensus. Starting in 2018, local regattas shall be one-day only. Two-day events will be scheduled for regattas with out-of-town visiting Harbor 20 crews.
- Holiday Party: Discussion of dues and election to coincide with party. Consensus, Annual dues will be due by Jan 15. By the end of the first week in February, there will be an email call by the board secretary for nominees to the board. A vote via confidential email will be called by the board secretary. Results will be announced at the party. The party date is February 11. Location to be confirmed.
- East/West Regatta – Hilton Head. Rich asked for people to participate. This subject will be revisited in June with a call for participants.
- Class Championship announcement: Anybody participating will have to trailer their boat down to Newport or charter one there.
- Nominations for the National Harbor 20 Class Board: Rich Miller and Kevin Cahill, if he agrees to serve, are nominated without objection.
Your Harbor Association, the Association of Orange Coast Yacht Clubs (AOCYC) is pleased to announce the 2nd Annual “Fall Finale” Race Event scheduled for Saturday, November 18th, 2017. This race event celebrates sailboat racing by members of Newport Harbor and Dana Point Harbor Yacht Clubs. We encourage everyone to participate as early entries make for great events! PHRF Classes and Cruising Classes will race a random leg course off Newport Beach with Harbor 20s racing a random leg course inside Newport Harbor. South Shore Yacht Club will host the After Race Party featuring a $15 Mexican Buffet and fantastic raffle prizes for racers! Attached is the NOR and flyer. ENTER TODAY at www.aocyc.org.
John L. Marshall
SSYC Staff Commodore/AOCYC Jr. Staff Commodore/VP South RBOC/Director SCYA
South Shore Yacht Club
1099 Bayside Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92660
Cell: (678) 296-4970, Local: (949) 646-3102
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.southshoreyc.com