Santa Barbara Harbor 20 Fleet Meeting
Oct, 16, 2019
1. Call to order. Fleet Capt. Rich Miller presiding. Present: JJ Jeffries, Morgan Green, Bill Bench, Wayne Rosing, Bill Hahn, Jane Barrett, Thomas Wright. (Proxies from Geoff Slaff, Dorthy Rosing, Brian Green)
2. Treasurer’s Report – by Rich Miller. The fleet has $3,400.
3. Old Business
a. Since the Miramar Anchor event was so successful, it has been scheduled again for September of 2020.
b. Jibs for boats donated for use in the Centennial and Commodore’s Cup and Woman’s Championship races. SBYC’s yacht club account at Ullman sails is $3,780. The fleet has been offered this amount in compensation for the use of fleet vessels in the above events. It was previously discussed that the money help participating skippers replace their jibs. The current cost of an Ullman jib (including the one-design fall discount) is $876. Negotiations are underway to reduce that price. Rich Miller asks how to allocate the SBYC compensation funds, and how much does the fleet add to that amount to provide an adequate “thank you” to skippers who allowed the SBYC to use their boats?
Motion: by Wayne Rosing and second by Morgan green: Split the funds equally among those skippers who donated their boats for use at least two (2) times in the past three (3) years.
Motion by Morgan Green. Bill Hahn second. Supplement the funds using one half of the fleet’s current treasury – ($1,700)
Both approved by unanimous voice vote with Morgan Green, Wayne Rosing and Rich Miller voting on behalf of absent members Brian Green, Dorthy Rosing and Geoff Slaff.
Suggestion: Tell the SBYC the boats will be available in the future for $50 each per day, credited to the fleet. Rich Miller will discuss this with the SBYC Sail Policy Committee.
4. Next Year’s Racing Schedule – Rich Miller. The Sail Policy Committee needs to know.
Motion by Morgan Green, Wayne Rosing second. Remove the SBYC Holiday Regatta from the H20 Championship Series for 2020.
5. Nomination of Fleet Officers: Nominated for Fleet Captain: Geoff Slaff and Caroline Kavanagh. J.J. Jeffries nominated for secretary/treasurer.
6. Added items:
– Wayne Rosing reported he is retiring his North sails, ending the experimental evaluation of that brand, The main was fine, the jib was terrible, he said.
– Rich Miller is leaving to race in the East West Challenge at Hilton Head. All other West Racers are from Newport.
– Suggestion for further discussion: With the catastrophic breaking of headstays and forestays, organization a clinic to hire an inspector to go up all fleet vessel masts to inspect for damage.
– Rich Miller motion: Starting this winter then every other year, hire a rigging inspector at the fleet’s expense for all member boats.