Category Archives: Fleet 4

2019 Class Board of Directors Vote

If you are an active Owner Member of the Harbor 20 Class Association, you are invited to participate in a vote for the 2019 Harbor 20 Class Association Board of Directors. This vote is being conducted online now through December 28, 2018.

Following are the instructions followed by a link to the page to cast your vote:

1. A vote for the Class Board of Directors can only be cast by Owner Members in good standing. If your membership has expired, you must renew your dues before you can vote;

2. You must be logged into this website to vote. If you have forgotten your password, you may reset your password by clicking here.;

3. You will casting a vote for up to 15 individuals to fill the Board seats, plus a vote for a non-voting observer;

4. The current Class Board has nominated 15 individuals for consideration as board members, and one non-voting observer. These individuals were nominated by the Board Nominating Committee for 2019. No other nominations have been received, so these are the only candidates for consideration;

5. Once you submit your vote, you cannot change your vote;

6. Any questions or problems with voting should be addressed to webmaster@harbor20.org.

We thank our nominees for their willingness to serve to advance the purpose and objectives of the Class. I (Patrick Shannon) am honored by the opportunity to serve on the Board and fill the role of President of the Class Association.

We are planning to distribute a State of the Class Memorandum in early February 2019 following our January meeting installing the new Directors for 2019.  Later this month we will be sharing additional details on the National Class Championships being held in Newport Beach from March 1 – 3, 2019.

When you’re ready to vote, click here.

Save the Date for Class Championships

The 2019 Harbor 20 Class Championship Regatta is scheduled for March 1-3, 2019, to be hosted by the Newport Harbor Yacht Club. The regatta will be open to all Harbor 20 Class Association Owner Members.

We are expecting participation from the all Harbor 20 Fleets. For this Championship, there will be no Divisions (eg: A, B, C). Instead, on Friday will be a series of races to seed entrants into groupings.

Watch for the Notice of Race being posted here in August, along with details regarding boat charters, lodging, parties, etc.

Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes June 14th, 2018

Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes
Thursday, June 14th
Attendees: JJ, Bill Hahn, Bill Bench, Al, Tom Wright, Jane Barrett, Jane Watkins, Cheryl, Rich, Helene, Ann Hutchins, Dale, Geoff
Treasurer’s Report:
  • Prior to the East West expenditures, the Fleet’s account balance was $4,781.07.
  • The Fleet unanimously passed a resolution to spend up to $2000 of the Fleet’s money on the East West Regatta, if needed for the social events.

Class News:

  • A new mold is being built by Columbia yachts.
  • Boats are still ordered through WD Schock
  • If someone has an old boat this may be exchanged for a new one for $10,000 (plus your old boat). The old boats will be re-furbished and sold for $30,000.

East West Updates:

  • Fleet 4 (Santa Barbara) Team selection process was agreed to. The process is as follows: after the Fiesta Cup the boats will be ranked based on their finishes in the Championship eligible regattas sailed year to date. Starting from the top, skippers will be asked if they are willing and able to compete and the process will continue until we fill out the 4 teams allocated to our fleet.
  • As in the past all of the boats’ standing rigging (i.e. shrouds) will be tuned to the same setting prior to the East West regatta.
  • We will need 14 owner’s reps for each day of racing and probably at least 10 reps for Friday’s practice to held after the spinnaker clinic. So far Helene, Jane Barrett and Tom Wright, Ann Hutchins, Ed Walls, Wayne and Jane Watkins have volunteered to act in this capacity. More are needed. Geoff will send an email to the fleet asking for more reps.
  • Jane Barrett reported on the housing. To date 7 rooms have been requested by the out of town sailors and so far, we have 10 rooms available. We are still waiting to hear back from 7 or 8 more out of town participants so we may need more rooms.

Social Events:

  • Jane Watkins is coordinating the Friday social event at the Maritime Museum. We will be using Stanton’s Gourmet Catering. There just happens to be a surf band playing outside the museum on this night to add to the fun of the evening.
  • Cheryl Miller is coordinating Saturday’s beach party at the club. SBYC will do all the set up and decorating and provide a Luau themed meal with passed apps and then a buffet. Jason Campbell’s band is playing and the consensus at the meeting was to make sure the music isn’t too loud.
  • JJ is coordinating the Sunday awards event at the Carriage and Western Art Museum. The plan is for a western BBQ with Tri-tip and associated sides. Julie Jeffryes will be asked to provide tours for people during the event.

Spinnaker Clinic:

  • Geoff will contact Scott Deardorff to see if he will lead the Friday afternoon spinnaker clinic.

Boat Electronics:

  • Members agreed that ideally boats will all have a compass and nothing more. We need to do an inventory and determine if this is indeed possible.

Logo for the Shirts:

  • Helene unveiled her artwork for the back and front of the shirts and everybody loved it.

Regatta Budget:

  • Including the bids, we have from the caterers for the Friday and Sunday events and from the yacht club for Saturday’s event we are showing an overall deficit for all of the expenses to put this on of about $300. This will be covered by the $2000 from fleet account the fleet members allocated to be used for this event. So far so good. Geoff doesn’t expect this deficit to grow to more than $1000 but we shall see. Everybody working on the various events and other expense related items (i.e. T-shirts) is doing a good job of trying to stay within budget.

Meeting adjourned.

END

Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes 22 March 2018

Meeting called to Order at 5:30PM  March 28, 2018.
Attending: Kevin, Jane, Rich, Tom K., JJ, WER, Bill B., each representing boats.  A quorum of 8 boats represented was recognized.
Discussed Treasurer’s report.  Are we accumulating too many funds?  We have on the order of $4,000 in the bank.   A motion was made for a fleet championship take home trophy.  Passed unanimously, Jane to propose the specifics.
We need clear sign ups from owners so we can be sure about boat counts for East-West within April 15.   Note to follow from Rich to membership.
It was discussed and agreed all boats will be set up the same by the Measurer.
 A discussion ensued about members offering their boats for the E/W, N/S and other special regattas.   The consensus after discussion was  active membership in the fleet requires making their boat available for special fleet activities.  The Board was clear this is a Fleet Owner’s decision to be put to the Owners for a vote.
Boat bumpers for E/W regatta?  Nays carried.
Next a discussion about electronics and Compass function for all boats for the E/W.
The consensus was a compass function is desirable on all boats, but some do not have magnetic compasses.  Tacktics and speed pucks which also display speed we thought to be not in the spirit of no-electronics.  I note many of our wind gauges are electronic as well.  It was agreed this decision needs more work, so the discussion was tabled.  Comments from the fleet are invited.
Last a general discussion of the E/W regatta social events occurred.  We could not reach Geoff by phone so  the balance of the discussion was tentative given Geoff is doing more of the detailed planning.
For social events,  it was proposed we stick to same format as the last event: Friday party event, Saturday Club beach event.  Estimation is 100 participants, we need a proposal, and sort the venue and cost.   We ask Geoff, Jane and Karen K. to propose some options by May 15.
It was proposed we try to have Dave Uhlman to give a clinic Friday afternoon. Rich to pursue the option of a participation trophy in lieu of goodie bag was also discussed.  Jane to propose as part of the May 15 discussion.
Meeting adjourned.

 

END

2018 Class Board of Directors Elections

If you are an active Owner Member of the Harbor 20 Class Association, you are invited to participate in a vote for the 2018 Harbor 20 Class Association Board of Directors. This vote is being conducted online now through December 31, 2017.

Following are the instructions followed by a link to the page to cast your vote:

1. A vote for the Class Board of Directors can only be cast by Owner Members in good standing. If your membership has expired, you must renew your dues before you can vote;

2. You must be logged into this website to vote. If you have forgotten your password, you may reset your password by clicking here.;

3. You will casting a vote for up to 15 individuals to fill the Board seats;

4. The current Class Board has nominated 15 individuals for consideration. These individuals were published on December 10, 2015 via email to the membership. No other nominations have been received, so these are the only candidates for consideration;

5. Once you submit your vote, you cannot change your vote;

6. Any questions or problems with voting should be addressed to webmaster@harbor20.org.

 

When your ready to vote, click here.

2018 Harbor 20 Class Association Board of Directors Nominations

Dear Harbor 20 Class Association Owner Member,

As a current and active Owner Member of the Harbor 20 Class Association, you will be asked to participate in a vote for the 2018 Harbor 20 Class Association Board of Directors. Voting will open until the end of the day on December 31, 2017.

The Harbor 20 Class Associations ByLaws, section ID3 state:


I.D.3. A Nominating Committee will be appointed by the Board each Fall to nominate candidates for the open Director positions. The Committee is required to consider suggestions for candidates from all Fleet Captains. The slate will be communicated to the Owner Members by December 10th. Five or more owners may nominate additional candidates. The Board will hold an open and fair election by the Owner Members of all nominated candidates.


A nominating committee was formed and candidates have been solicited from all the Fleet Captains. The nominating committee is recommending the following individuals for the 2018 Class Association Board of Directors.  An election will be held in the upcoming weeks. This email is only a notification of the nominated candidates as required by the ByLaws.

Kevin Cahill, Fleet 4
Warren Duncan, Fleet 1, current Class Measurer
Peter Haynes, Fleet 1
Garth Hitchens, Fleet 5, current Assistant Class Measurer
Kevin Keogh, Fleet 3, current Class President
Ed Kimball, Fleet 1
Robert Knowles, Fleet 6
Richard Loufek, Fleet 1
Marino de Marzo, Fleet 5
Richard Miller, Fleet 4
Michael Mixson, Fleet 6
Ned Nielsen, Fleet 3
Patrick Shannon, Fleet 5
Gary Thorne, Fleet1
Judy Weightman, Fleet 1

 

Total of 15 Directors Representing all Active Fleets.
Any questions concerning the election or nominations should be directed to the Class Nominating Committee via email to ____________.

Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes 9 October 2017

HARBOR 20 FLEET FOUR

BOARD MEMBER MEETING

OCTOBER 9, 2017

 

  1. Call to Order: Rich Miller presiding. Present, board members Morgan Green, Geoff Slaff, Ann Hutchins, former fleet captain Fred Rice

 

  1. minutes: accepted.

 

  1. Webmaster’s report: no report

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report: Geoff Slaff. Current Balance, $3,509.55 as of Oct. 9, 2017 (see attached complete report)

 

  1. Basic Rules Review: Discussion of rights of way inside downwind finish zone and upwind finish at committee boat.

 

Old Business

 

  1. Class Measurer. Weighing of boats. Tom Wright. The scale was found. All boats underweight, new boats, and boats that underwent alterations need to be weighed. Five total. Tom will select times and send to the owners. Unweighed boats will not be counted in any more race unless they get weighed.

 

  1. Spinnaker Pole Deployment: Discussion of rules favored by other classes with similar extending poles. Motion: Spinnaker poles may be deployed any time within the three-boat-length circle (extending outward 60 feet from the mark for Harbor 20s), and will be retracted at the first reasonable opportunity. Approved.

 

  1. North/South Regatta: discussion of keeping activities as simple as possible. Scheduled for Labor Day Weekend, 2018. Fleet Capt. noted that the entry fee of $580 to enter at Annapolis was way too expensive. General consensus that simpler is better. But no decision. To be discussed more later.

 

  1. Bylaw change. Wording to formalize previous decisions on to matters. See below.

 

111.G.17 Backstay tension line may be lead through a simple block attached to the base of the barney post. The cleat location shall not be altered.

 

11.C.4 All crew shall keep their hips within the confines of the cockpit at all times excepting in the need for immediate repair or for safety.

 

Approved.

 

New Business

 

  1. Do we require a working motor? Discussion after consulting national Class bylaws. A motor does not need to be working. But all Class required motor requirements must be fulfilled. (such as permanently mounted weight in lieu of battery or motor etc.)

 

  1. Two-day Regattas: Discussion and consensus. Starting in 2018, local regattas shall be one-day only. Two-day events will be scheduled for regattas with out-of-town visiting Harbor 20 crews.

 

  1. Holiday Party: Discussion of dues and election to coincide with party. Consensus, Annual dues will be due by Jan 15. By the end of the first week in February, there will be an email call by the board secretary for nominees to the board. A vote via confidential email will be called by the board secretary. Results will be announced at the party. The party date is February 11. Location to be confirmed.

 

  1. East/West Regatta – Hilton Head. Rich asked for people to participate. This subject will be revisited in June with a call for participants.

 

  1. Class Championship announcement: Anybody participating will have to trailer their boat down to Newport or charter one there.

 

  1. Nominations for the National Harbor 20 Class Board: Rich Miller and Kevin Cahill, if he agrees to serve, are nominated without objection.

Let Your Lights Shine

Running Light Maintenance

by Chris Hill, July 2017

 

I don’t sail in the dark very often, but when I do, it’s usually between July and December.  In August through October, warm pleasant evenings suddenly turn dark, and in December it’s nice to get out and look at the Christmas lights.  When out in the harbor after sunset, it’s a good idea, and a legal requirement, to have working running lights.

 

To keep your lights in working order it is a good idea to check and maintain the electrical system from time to time.  Every year in late summer, I pull apart the running lights, clean and grease them to improve reliability.  So far, I haven’t got stuck in the dark without running lights (knock on wood).

 

Take the three screws out that hold the running light to the boat, being careful not to drop the screws or the screwdriver into the water.  Note that there are several parts to the light.  Be sure to hang onto all of them.

Aha… Corrosion shown here on the contacts on the base of the bulb and on the socket.  Moisture plus dissimilar metals in contact with each other and the atmosphere means corrosion will happen.  We just need to clean it away, and slow down its future growth.

 

To clean off the corrosion, I like to use contact cleaner, readily available from an auto parts store (Kragen, Hub) or an electronics store (MarVac, Fry’s) plus a wire brush.  (Funny that the can says “Cleans and Protects”, then also on the label it says “Leaves no residue”.  Not sure what kind of protection is provided when nothing is left behind…  Anyway, it helps to get things thoroughly clean, but I wouldn’t count on any “protection”.)

 

I also like to use a wire brush for the cleaning operation.  This 3 pack of brushes from Home Depot (Paint department) has a stiff nylon brush, a brass brush (good for cleaning steel without scratching it), and a steel brush.  It’s ok to scratch the electrical contacs, so use the steel one for this job.  I spray on the cleaner then quickly scrub with the wire brush to clean, then use more spray cleaner to get rid of the crud.  Be careful that no strands of wire brush remain.  The nylon brush is good to make sure nothing meteallic is left behind.

 

After cleaning, the base should have a copper-ish looking color.  Most importantly, the two contacts inside the base

need to be thorougly cleaned.  This is a one-filament bulb, and there are two contacts on the base, so the socket itself is not actually part of the circuit, and the base contacts are the most important part.

 

After cleaning I like to apply dielectric grease, also available at an auto parts store.  The dielectric grease keeps moisture and air away from the metal, preventing corrosion, at least as long as it stays on the surface.

Here’s the bulb cleaned, then coated with the grease, ready to be reinstalled.  Put it all back together with grease coating the electrical contacts, and your lights should work fine, at least until corrosion catches back up with you.

 

Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes 10 July 2017

HARBOR 20 FLEET FOUR

BOARD AND MEMBER MEETING

JULY 10,2017

 

  1. Call to order: Rich Miller presiding. Present Geoff Slaff, JJ Jeffries, Helene Webb, Fred Rice, Brian Green, Ann Hutchins, Kevin Cahill, Caroline Cavanagh.

 

  1. Team Racing presentation. No minutes taken.

 

  1. Acceptance of previous minutes. Accepted

 

  1. Webmaster’s Report. No report.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report. Fleet has $3,609.55 in the bank. Small amount spent on meeting snacks and team racing id ribbons.

 

Old Business

 

  1. Weighing: Fleet Capt. notes that the Class requires a 30 lb. weight be added to the battery compartment along with a lithium battery. Boats that a still need to be reweighed include Fling, Fleur de Lis and possibly Limoncello. Fred Rice is to contact Bill Hahn to schedule a time to weigh Fling.

 

  1. Backstay lead change: Brian Green of Amigo advocates approval of running the backstay adjuster line a turning block mounted to the base of the binnacle. Noted, Class rule IIIF.2.d states: running rigging “leads and purchase geometries may not be changed or relocated.” Discussion and motion to approve the optional “Amigo style” backstay lead change for Fleet Four boats. Approved by majority vote of the board and members present with one abstention and 2 “no” votes.

 

New Business

 

  1. Response to complaints that Fleet Four needs a rule re when spinnaker poles may be deployed. Discussion. No decision. Tables for further research. Rich is to check with J-70 and Melges Fleets re their rules.

 

  1. Response to concerns re rule regarding how much of a person’s body may be outside of the cockpit except for emergencies. Class rule IIC4 states: Hiking is not permitted. “All crew shall keep their torsos within the confines of the cockpit at all times, excepting in the need for immediate repair or for safety. Discussion. Proposed: “Hips must remain inside the vertical extensions of the cockpit “walls.” Approved by majority vote of the board and members present.

 

  1. North South Regatta Date, 2018. Discussion. Fleet rep is to place on the agenda of the SBYC sail policy committee. Fleet consensus suggestion, Labor Day.

 

  1. Annapolis team members? Rich Miller, Fred Rice and maybe Geoff Slaff announce they are going with crew.

 

  1. Next team race. Consensus, August 2.

 

  1. Reminder announcement to sign up for the Fiesta Regatta.

 

Adjournment.

END

1 2 3 5