Date: July 13, 2023 Time: 5:30pm Location: SBYC
Call Meeting to Order: 5:40pm; Notes: JMB
Attendance/Quorum: Lee C, GT, Rich M, Al S, Bob A, Bill S, Helene W, Jane B, Tom W, Greg for Wayne R, Trey P, Morgan G, John K
- Minutes from May 11 fleet meeting, approved by majority vote.
- Treasurers report, Rich, approved by majority vote.
- National Class update, Rich/Lee, general update on H20 boat manufacturing.
Old Business/Action Items
- Slate of 5 competitors from Fleet 4: Pleione/Geoff & Remy, Webster/Bill & Steve, Fling/Bill & JJ, Cardremian/Rich & Paul, Cherry Bomb/Kevin & John. If 6th boat needed: Tachyon/Greg & Alex.
- Update on preparations, response to Geoff requests for volunteers to bring appetizers to Friday night Dock Party: Bob A, Helene W, Geoff & Dale, Julie & JJ, Rich & Cheryl (cookies).
- Volunteered boats and owners reps, Trey:
- GT went over scheduled adjustment of rigging by GT & JJ to happen on Thurs. Original settings will be noted beforehand. Red zipties will used to lock-in.
- GT went over H20 Class required gear to have on board and will resend email of full list to fleet.
- Trey passed around a spreadsheet for participating boat owners to provide slip Location and other pertinent boat owner info ie contact info.
- Accommodations for out-of-town competitors: Bill H sent email to Lee prior to fleet meeting indicating that several Fleet 4 members volunteered accommodations but there are no Newport/South competitors requiring help with housing at this time.
Update on Transition to North Sails:
- Sail order was placed with North Sails by Lee. 8-9 boasts participated in the initial order. Estimated delivery date mid-August. North will contact boat owners directly when their sales are ready.
- There was thorough discussion re: the grace period allowed to change to North Sails. There was General consensus that there could be a financial burden to boat owners if required to change all sails to North by a certain deadline; particularly those who have new Ullmans with very little use. The following motion was made and approved by majority vote. This change in grace period supercedes the vote taken in the May 11th meeting with regard to the specified grace period. The by-laws will be amended to reflect the following: “As of July 13, 2023 all NEWLY PURCHASED SAILS to be used on board Fleet 4 Harbor 20s during competitions must be manufactured by North Sails.”
Vang, Backstay & Outhaul Modifications, Bill S:
- There was general discussion re: Vang corrosion problem, stock vang bracket is susceptible to corrosion by using SST fastener on aluminum. Similar situation created corrosion with the mast saddle fitting and fleet rules were previously modified to allow for boat owners to change this fitting. It was agreed at the meeting that fleet boat owners should be allowed but not required to replace the saddle fitting, an amendment to the bylaws is not required in order to do this.
- There was thorough discussion about the ineffectiveness of the current backstay adjustment on the H20 and a suggestion that it could be modified in order to make it more efficient and functional. Some fleet members expressed concern about making such changes. A motion was proposed and approved by majority to allow for but not require the modification as stated below, The Fleet bylaws shall be amended to reflect this change. “A 2:1 block system may be added to the backstay tension line between the base of the barney post and the cleat.”
- There was further discussion re: improving the functionality of the current outhaul adjustment on the H20. There were many who thought this could be improved upon by allowing for modification. There was also some reluctance to making changes to the boats. Recommendations were made on both sides: to allow for changes and to keep the boats as there are. At the end of discussion a motion was made and passed by majority vote. The fleet bylaws will be amended to reflect the following: “A 2:1 block may be added to the main outhaul clew shackle at the aft end of the boom.”
- Bylaws: The fleet will need a volunteer to amend the By-laws as per votes taken by the fleet in our last 2 help with meetings. Please contact Lee if you can help with this.
- Next Fleet meeting Thurs Aug 10th, Brad to give rules talk on downwind racing.
- Fleet Party, Wayne & Dorothy R. have offered to host fleet party, date Sept? TBD.
- The dates for the Miramar Anchor Down changed to Sat. Sept 23, and the date for the Single-Handed race changed to Sun. Sept 10th. (Swapped dates from current SBYC Schedule).
Meeting adjourned: 7:11 p.m.