Fleet 4 Meeting Minutes 8 May 2017
Harbor 20 Fleet Four
Meeting May, 8, 2017
- Call to order: Rich Miller presiding. Caroline Kavanagh, Helene Webb, Ann Hutchins, Fred Rice, Sandra Denton, Bill Hahn, Karen Cahill, Brian Green. J.J. Jeffries, Tom Kelleway, Sharon Green, Morgan Green attending.
- Minutes: April minutes accepted.
- Treasurer’s Report, Rich Miller in Geoff Slaff’s absence. See attached report. Fleet account balance, $3,600. Meeting snacks to be paid for.
- Webmaster’s Report: J.J. Jeffries: He did all the corrections and appendices of our fleet bylaws online. Motion approved to take all and place into appendix 6 from the website at another location. J.J. will talk to Nick regarding why fleet Four notifications don’t go out to all of our fleet members although they do receive Fleet One items. Also, can we just send and get emails for Fleet Four through the Association website.
- Measurer’s Report: No report. Tom Wright absent.
- Rules corner. Discussion of Rule 17, overtaking from clear astern involving two boats sailing downwind. If a boat from clear astern becomes overlapped within two of HER hull lengths to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall NOT sail above her proper course while they remain on the same tack and overlapped within the two boat lengths of distance. The leeward boat can do a quick double jibe to create a new overlap, and then take the windward boat up, or the leeward boat can veer away more than two boat lengths to leeward, and then return to establish a new overlap and take the windward boat up.
- Move spinnaker and spinnaker rigging and tack specifications into the Fleet 4 bylaws. Done. See Item 4. above.
- Harbor20.org subscription and sign up procedure: See item 4.
- Have boats with material changes been weighed? Fred Rice – No. Are waiting for Bill to purchase Fling. Item postponed to next meeting.
- North/South Challenge is in Newport, June 16-18 Fred Rice – Newport is using the lido Yacht Club’s facilities this year. Fleet Four is also invited to sail in their Friday night separate event. Fees are reduced from last year. No big awards dinner, so we can go home earlier. Carpooling is possible. Qualification of participants is up to Fleet Four. Free housing with local hosts is available. Friday is the cocktail party, Saturday is a pre-race meeting with coffee and donuts, lunch boxes will be available for purchase. Party and dinner is Saturday night. Racing again on Sunday. May 13 is the deadline to notify Rich of participation. Fred will coordinate all between Fleet Four and hosts. He will email the fleet to seek participants, answer questions, etc. Fred, and Rich will participate. Bill is a maybe. Sept. 8 and 9 is East/West in Annapolis.
- Protest Flags: Rich Miller _ SBYC is getting more serious about protests. Cites a protest in which he participated as arbitrator that the protesting boat did not properly and immediately say “protest” and display a protest flag. The protest was disallowed. Reminds all to get a flag and keep it ready to hang on backstay or shroud. Regarding protest turns: Must be done immediately, not when convenient. West Marine has protest flags with Velcro.
- Collapsable boarding ladder: Helene Webb suggested and demonstrated a flexible collapsible boarding ladder she obtained after going overboard in the harbor and finding it hard to re-board.
- Backstay turning block: Brian Green – He installed a block at the base of his barney post to lead the backstay adjustment line forward making it easy for a crew to reach. He asked if this is legal, saying it should be allowed since other variations in running rigging, such as different blocks on jib booms have been allowed. Discussion: and noted that rules disallow running the jib downhaul to the cockpit. Request: Brian is to take pictures of his modification and bring it to the next meeting for a vote.
Teams for the First Wet Wednesday trail run fun race were announced:
Orange: Amigo, Scirocco, Firefly, Fling and maybe Cherry Bomb and Shah.
Green: Cardremian, Pleione, Picante, Sheridan, and maybe Tachyon, and Lisianthus.
Rich Miller: more Discussion of team racing rule: Inside overlap while rounding a mark, the inside boat may “take up” the outside boat after rounding as a team tactic. A right-of-way boat can alter course in a port-starboard approach, but must give the burdened boat time and room to stay clear.
– – – END – – –