Class Championship Charter Boats
Posted on behalf of Class President Gary Thorne:
The Annapolis fleet will offer a limited number of charter boats (perhaps 5-10) for the Harbor 20 class championship on Sept. 8-11. They expect to have an idea of how many boats will be available for Fleet 1 owner-members to charter in mid-April, although more boats could become available later. Charter fees may be around $100. (Also, the regatta entry fee may be around $300 per boat, airfare could be $500+ per person, and lodging could be several hundred dollars unless housing is offered in Annapolis fleet members’ houses.)
To determine which owners from our fleet can charter a boat, we will use the following criteria:
- First choice goes to the defending class champion (Bill Menninger).
- Second choice goes to the current fleet champion (Adam Deermount).
- Next five choices go to the top five owners in the High-Point A standings, who have sailed at least 30% of this year’s High-Point races, as of April 10.
- Next three choices go to the top three owners in the High-Point B standings, who have sailed at least 30% of this year’s High-Point races, as of April 10.
- Next two choices go to the top two owners in the High-Point C standings, who have sailed at least 30% of this year’s High-Point races, as of April 10.
- Next five choices go to the five owners in 6th-10th position in the High-Point A standings, who have sailed at least 30% of this year’s High-Point races, as of April 10.
- The pattern then repeats for B, then C, then back to A, and so on.
“First choice” means that, in mid-April, if the skipper informs the fleet board that he or she intends to charter a boat, a boat will be held for him or her. If the skipper doesn’t enter the championship by mid-May, that boat will be available for someone else to charter, using the above criteria.
For example, let’s say there are 5 boats available. Menninger says he’s not planning to enter, but Deermount and one of the top five High-Point As say they’ll enter. Now there are 3 boats available for the top 3 Bs. If Deermount doesn’t enter by mid-May, an additional boat becomes available, and Menninger could charter it if he changes his mind and enters. If not, another top-five High-Point A could charter it, and so on down the High-Point standings.