Fleet 4 Executive Committee Meeting October 15 2015
(at Board Meeting 15 December 2015)
HARBOR 20 FLEET FOUR
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
OCT. 15, 2015
CALL TO ORDER: Fred Rice presiding. Executive Committee members Thomas Wright, Morgan Green, Bill Bench attending. Quorum established. Fleet members attending: Leslie and Scott Deardorff, Brian Green, Bhrian Resnik, John Jeffries (webmaster), Sandra Denton, Jane Watkins.
- MINUTES of July 2015 session. Read by Morgan Green.
- UPDATES OF OLD BUSINESS: Fred Rice –
(a) boom sheave replacements: the Fleet Four policy was adopted in concept by the National H20 Association board. The new policy is scheduled for an H20 National Association board vote.
(b) Ullman mainsails: At its July meeting, the Executive Committee took the following action: Motion by Geoff Slaff, second by Morgan Green: All new or replacement mainsails shall be Ullman mainsails (as made to meet current class specifications) after the Holiday Regatta of 2015.
With executive committee agreement, Fred subsequently emailed all Fleet Four owners asking them to say whether they favored the executive committee action that. The email response was 10 owners in favor. Nobody voted against, thereby confirming the board’s earlier action. Discussion on Oct. 15 included questions regarding a sunset deadline for use of Elliott/Pattison mains, and whether owners could switch between Ullmans and E/P mains. Morgan Green clarified that the adopted policy was for no sunset on E/P main use, but when a sail is replaced, it must be an Ullman sail. The suggestion was made by Scott Deardorff for a sunset date for E/P main use. The need for a sunset date will be placed on the next Fleet Meeting (Jan. 7, 2016) agenda for discussion.
(c) Spinnaker maker – Naming a single maker for Fleet Four spinnakers was raised by Scott Deardorff. The idea will be placed on the next Fleet Meeting agenda for discussion.
- DISCOUNTS ON ULLMAN SAILS: Brian Green reported that there is a current 15 percent discount for Ullman mainsails, but a bigger discount is possible if the fleet gets a group order together. There are currently 8 owners who have indicated they want to buy Ullman mains.
The idea of also including jib and spinnaker orders was raised. Fred is to send out an email to all Fleet Four owners asking who wants to order Ullman mains, jibs, and spinnakers. EMAIL RESPONDENTS ARE TO REPLY TO BRIAN GREEN, to coordinate a group discount purchase on all sails.
- FINANCIAL REPORT: Fred Reports on behalf of Geoff that all collected dues remain to be spent as the Fleet decides.
- WEIGHING BOATS: Fred reports that the H20 National Association has ruled that all boats must weigh at least 1,950 pounds. This was done after it was learned that Schock’s new manufacturing method was turning out boats between 20 and 150 pounds lighter than older boats. So, all boats numbered 335 or higher must be weighed, and corrective weights put in the battery compartments if they are too light. The fleets newest boats, Sirocco and Pleione, must be weighed with all standing rigging and required equipment aboard, as per association requirements. Leslie Deardorff requested that her older boat also be weighed. Ken Kieding was reported to have an easy method of weighing Fleet Four boats. Fred is to send out an email to all Fleet owners asking if they want their boat officially weighed as well, although weighing is voluntary only for hulls 334 or lower.
- SAFETY GEAR: The question of Fleet Four needing heavier ground tackle due to local sea conditions will await the return of Geoff Slaff, who is investigating the issue.
- 2016 CALENDAR: Jane Watkins distributed the SBYC racing calendar for 2016. The 2016 Fiesta Cup will include the Harbor 20 fleet. The other fleet will be J-70s as the regatta is part of their West Coast Championship series.
- H20 TROPHY PARTY: Jane reported that the Rosings would host the party. Leslie Deardorff will contact them to organize.
- UPCOMING EVENTS: Jane Watkins noted upcoming races she hopes the fleet will enter, including the CHRF Lady at the Helm on Oct. 18; the Wilmot Hughes PHRF race (with Harbor 20s to receive a non-spin handicap of 234). Some fleet members discussed the upcoming Sailing Club Goblin Regatta and it was agreed that racers could decide among themselves whether to race the regatta’s second day, or just on Saturday.
Jane said she will also discuss a schedule of starting clinics for Fleet Four with Ken Kieding.
- NEXT MEETING WILL BE A FLEET MEETING AT 5:30 P.M. ON JAN. 7, 2016 AT THE SBYC. NOMINATIONS FOR NEW FLEET OFFICERS WILL BE ON THE AGENDA.